Friday, December 16, 2011

Logical Fears

I've never trusted elevators (escalators, either, really). I don't like them at all. I'd rather walk up ten flights of stairs than get on an elevator. However, with kids in tow that is a huge pain in the ass. Plus, everyone is always like "Oh nothing ever goes wrong in elevators". Yeah, well guess what? Now there's justification to my elevator phobia.



When Suzanne Hart stepped into an elevator — it suddenly shot up. Hart was dragged up the shaft and became wedged between the elevator and the wall. “One of my guards was behind the lady,” he said. “As soon as the lady stepped in, the door did not close. So the elevator went up and smashed the body."


Such a tragic, sudden ending to a beautiful life. I know it was a freak accident, but this is the kind of things an elevator-phobic (is there a word for that?) has nightmares about! And her poor family. I can't even imagine.

I guess I'm going to start hopping over the threshold and hoping I survive. Can you imagine the looks I'll get?

Oh, and this isn't an isolated incident by any means. The most recent I recall is when Ohio State paid a $1 million settlement to a student's family for a similar death.

No comments:

Post a Comment